Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a spicy garlic chili & only takes about 40 minutes to make. I originally started with a Betty Crocker chili recipe and it's changed quite a bit over the years.
- 2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon bacon fat
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free refried beans
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons beef demi-glace
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 teaspoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon mesquite liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cocoa
- Set aside the cheddar cheese and sour cream until serving time.
- In a large dutch oven, lightly roast the minced garlic in the bacon fat, over medium heat. Do not burn the garlic.
- Add the ground beef to the roasted garlic in the dutch oven and cook over medium/high heat. Make sure to fully cook the ground beef in this step.
- When the ground beef is fully cooked, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top each serving with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!