Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small new red potatoes, unpeeled,scrubbed (12 to 16 potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/8-inch dice (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded,trimmed,cut in 1/8-inch dice
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded,finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet in the middle of the oven.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until tender and slightly crisp; test with a knife or skewer.
- Remove and let cool.
- Leave the oven set at 475°F.
- Meanwhile, make the filling: In large frying pan over medium heat, warm remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add onion and saute, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add eggplant and cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring, until it begins to soften.
- Add bell pepper and cook, stirring, 5 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, basil and vinegar, and continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes longer, or until the liquid evaporates and eggplant is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Cut each potato in half crosswise.
- If bottoms are uneven, cut off a thin slice so they will stand upright once filled.
- Scoop out most of the pulp from each half, leaving only a thin shell; reserve inner pulp for another use.
- Return the potato shells to the baking sheet, hollow sides down, and brush the skins with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from oven and reduce the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Sprinkle the insides of the potato shells with some of the parmesan cheese.
- Spoon in the filling and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve immediately.