Recipe by ebbtide
Was given this by a friend, who cooks this superbly. Uses eggplant to a surprising degree of tastiness. A real winner for vegetarians.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 zucchini, cut into bit size pieces
- 2 eggplants, peeled, cut into 1-inch size chunks
- 3 bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 1 red onion, cut into pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes (cut into chunks)
- 3 ounces tomato paste, drained (1/2 small can)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put oil in bottom of pyrex pan- add eggplant and sprinkle with salt-toss. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and set aside.
- In large skillet, pour some olive oil and saute the onions, peppers and zuchinni. Add garlic toward end of saute. Add tomatoes- not the juice they are inches Also add the tomatoe paste and herbs. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Add eggplant and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot over pasta or at room temp with good crusty bread.