1 hr 15 mins
In 'Rustic Fruit Desserts' by Cory Schreiber and Julie Richardson
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature, for dishes
- 3 cups small bread cubes (1/4-inch)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (2 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (only if not using challah or brioche)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar (4 1/2 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 pint raspberries (1 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Butter six 5-ounce ramekins.
- 3Spread bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- 4Once the bread is cool, toss it with the melted butter and sugar; set aside.
- 5To make the pastry cream--put the vanilla bean seeds into a saucepan.
- 6Add the half-and-half and vanilla pod and cook over med-low heat until hot but not boiling.
- 7Separately, whisk the sugar and salt into the egg yolks and continue whisking until slightly thickened and lighter in color.
- 8Add the cornstarch and whisk until combined.
- 9Slowly pour half of the hot liquid into the yolk mixture, stirring constantly until well blended.
- 10Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- 11Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and stir frequently until cool.
- 12Distribute half of the bread cubes among the prepared ramekins.
- 13Pour the pastry cream over the bread cubes, then put the berries atop the pastry cream.
- 14Top with the remaining bread cubes.
- 15Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops have browned and the berries bleed slightly.
- 16Cool to room temperature.
- 17Storage--this dessert is best eaten as soon as it is cooked, but any leftovers can be covered with plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator overnight.
- 18Reheat at 325° for about 10 minutes, until warmed through.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Cream Brown Betty
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.3
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 221.2 mg
- Sodium 325.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: