Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another recipe that I found from the July/August 2006 edition of Simple & Delicious. This is a french toast bake that's a snap to assemple the night before and bake in the morning. While it's pleasantly sweet as is, drizzle raspberry syrup over the top for a finishing touch. It's really easy to vary this recipe buy using other fruits like strawberries or blueberries or even a combination of berries. Sometimes I like topping it all off with a little whipped cream. Time does not include chill time.
- 12 slices cinnamon-swirl bread, cubed
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or 2 cups fruit, of your choice
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13 x 9 baking dish. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; pour over bread. cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle almonds over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining brown sugar; drizzle over the top.
- Bake uncovered, at 400 degree F for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with raspberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
I used about half the amount of sugar in the egg mixture and tossed in frozen raspberries with the bread rather than saving them as a topping at the end of baking. Served with cream on top. Yummy!
This was an awesome french toast recipe! It was a snap to put together, I think the hardest part was waiting for it to finish baking!! I used raspberries and blueberries. Next time I'm going to try it with the strawberries! Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 5.....
What a wonderful treat. I scaled it down for one person and had it for lunch. It was so good, the french toast was light, moist, tender, spicy and oh so flavorful. I loved the addition of the raspberries and nuts all the flavors compliment one another beautifully. A dish that I will make again. Next time I won't cook it so long...the icing sugar was a personal preference only.