Recipe by Dreamgoddess
My husband loves grilling in the summertime, and this is one of my family's favorite grilled sandwiches. The recipe makes a delightful raspberry flavored barbecue sauce for the grilled chicken breasts. Of course you can substitute your favorite flavor of preserves. This is a Taste of Home recipe. After posting this recipe, I can proudly give credit to the wonderful chef who submitted this recipe to TOH - it's our own Chef Peacefulnightdove! Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe with us!!
Top Review by AKillian24
Heavenly!! One of DH and I's favorite sandwiches. The sauce is divine. I skinnied the recipe just a bit, using half reduced calorie jam mixed with regular raspberry jam and a lowfat swiss in place of the muenster cheese. I highly suggest grilling the chicken outdoors, as the smokey/flame mixes so wonderfully with the raspberry sauce. I double the sacue as well, and very glad I did.
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 3⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 24 slices French bread
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 12 slices muenster cheese, halved
- shredded lettuce
- 12 slices tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chili sauce, preserves, vinegar and mustard in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Set aside 1 c of the sauce for drizzling on the sandwich.
- Flatten the breasts to 1/4" thick and cut in half widthwise.
- Place in a resealable plastic bag; add 2 T oil, salt and pepper.
- Turn the sealed bag to coat.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat until the juices run clear (about 5-7 minutes per side), basting often with the remaining sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and keep it warm.
- Using the 1/2 c of oil, brush on both sides of each piece of bread.
- Grill until lightly browned on one side.
- Turn the bread over and top each slice with a piece of cheese.
- Grill until the bottom of the bread is lightly toasted and cheese is slightly melted.
- To make each sandwich, top half of the slices of bread with a piece of chicken, lettuce, tomato and drizzle on some of the 1 c raspberry sauce.
- Top with the remaining slices of bread.