Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
AWESOME! Truly a man's dish! A favorite dish in our family and often requested. I use original long grain converted rice by Uncle Ben. Great flavor!
- 453.59 g bulk sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 236.59 ml uncooked white rice
- 283.49 g cream of mushroom soup
- 396.89 g chicken broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 4.92 ml dry ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley)
- 2.46 ml salt
- In a large saucepan brown sausage, drain well and crumble. Set aside. In same pan saute onion and celery in 1 teaspoon oil. Mix in carrots and sausage.
- Place uncooked rice in bottom of a 9 x 9 or 3 quart baking dish. Place sausage mixture in baking dish on top of uncooked rice.
- In a medium size bowl mix soup, chicken broth, water, dry ranch mix and salt. Pour over sausage mixture and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes.
This is really yummy! I used brown rice instead of white. I was out of chicken broth so I used 2 1/4 cups water but added 3 chicken cubes. I also boiled the water/broth, soup and ranch (2tsp) before pouring over the sausage to help cook the brown rice a little faster...see Alton Brown's brown rice recipe. :-)
Liked this casserole a lot. I took armymomx2's tip of boiling my chicken broth, water and soup prior to pouring over the sausage layer. I just whisked them together and heated to boiling in the microwave. When I took it out I whisked in the ranch dressing mix, salt and some pepper. I think my husband would prefer that I add another 1/2 lb. of sausage or maybe some mushrooms. The next time I make this I will reduce the water by 1/2 cup and adjust the cooking time to 40-45 minutes. Thanks for the recipe!
We liked this ok- but it wasnt out of this world for us. i am a ranch-a-holic and this lacked it for me. I also made a few changes like the others. I cooked the 1 cup of raw rice in my cooker with the can of chicken broth and I added 1 tsp of ranch mix to it.
i cooked my turkey sausage with the vegetables and added salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes. I also did not drain the sausage since turkey sausage doesnt have fat to speak of.
the rice was just under done, which was perfect to add to this. and I topped it with sharp cheddar cheese and actually used my casserole lid instead of foil.
i baked it for 1 hour since others said 50 minutes didnt seem enough.
the rice was a tiny bit mushy, so maybe 3/4 c or 1/2 c water instead of 1 cup added to soup would have been enough (but my only soup choice was harris teeter brand which is thinner than campbells brand)
if I make this again I will probably add 1/2 the package of ranch to the casserole- I just wanted that ranch zing and didnt get it. thanks for sharing