Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 mins
A hearty filling of beans and salsa make this a winner at my house.
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄4 cup salsa (fresh homemade salsa is best but may use commercial salsa that has been slightly drained)
- 3 tablespoons grated monterey jack cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- sour cream, for topping
- To make filling: in a saucepan over medium heat, add the refried beans and salsa; stir to combine and cook until thoroughly warmed; set aside.
- To make omelet: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, water, salt, and pepper together.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Melt butter in pan and swirl to coat bottom of pan.
- When butter foams, pour in egg mixture all at once.
- Let set for about 20 seconds or until edges start to cook.
- Using a spatula, gently lift edges of mixture and tilt skillet to allow uncooked egg mixture to flow underneath.
- Continue to do this until the top is almost dry.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of bean mixture over one half of omelet.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Fold the other side over to cover.
- Let stand for a few seconds to let the cheese melt.
- Turn omelet out onto a warmed plate; garnish with a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- **There is enough bean filling for about 3 omelets or you can serve the extra along with the omelet as a side dish.