- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Burgundy wine
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced (3 stalks)
- 3 potatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt shortening, and brown meat (10 minutes).
- Add 1 cup water, wine, soup mix, tomatoes, and chili powder.
- Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Place the vegetables over the meat and add remaining cup of water.
- Cook, uncovered, until veggies are tender and gravy thickens (45 minutes).
- Serve with bread, if desired.