Recipe by Bill Hilbrich
I have added Spam to make this meal an inexpensive lunch for two. Without the meat,it is a nice side dish. The prep time includes waiting for the bell peppers to soften.
Top Review by Charlis Meador
Very good, Bill! I live out in the boonies and don't go to town all that often, so I end up doing what I call "off the wall" (AKA off the shelf) cooking. I happened to have all the stuff I needed for this, so I had it for lunch the other day. I did make a couple of changes: I had a jar of roasted red peppers, so I used them instead of roasting my own, and I scattered some cilantro over it before eating. A very handy recipe to have in my cookbook. Thank you.
- 6 ounces Spam
- 1 green bell pepper, roasted,peeled and diced (very easy)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Impale the whole green bell pepper on a long handled fork, making sure that the tangs protrude from the other side.
- Hold over an open flame until the flesh blisters and starts to turn black.
- Place the pepper into a paper bag and seal for 15 minutes.
- Then remove,and rub the skin that has been lossened by the steam until it comes off.
- Remove the stem and seeds.
- Cut the peeled bell pepper into small pieces, add the salt and black pepper, and set aside.
- Bring two cups of water to a boil.
- Melt the butter in the olive oil in a medium sized frying pan, and the saute the onions.
- When the onions are nearly transparent, break up the Ramen noodles and add to the boiling water.
- Do NOT add the contents of the seasoning package.
- The seasoning can be used later to make Salvage Rice, recipe#15581.
- Add the Spam, bell pepper, and the garlic to the frying pan and stir for 3 minutes which should give the noodles time to cook.
- Add 1/2 cup of the water from the cooked noodles to the frying pan, drain the noodles and add to the frying pan.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside for another minute while the water is being absorbed.
- Served with a side salad or fruit, this will feed two people for lunch.