Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe makes for crunchy little morsels with a distinct vanilla taste. Originally the recipe called for hazelnuts, but I cant have those, so I changed it to roasted, caramelized sunflower seeds. Feel free to use nuts or seeds of your choice, though.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Place raisins in a bowl and pour hot water over them. Put aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a big bowl. Add egg and vanilla.
- Mix in flour, salt, sunflower seeds/nuts and oats. Mix well. Drain raisins and fold into mixture.
- Using your hands, take off portions of dough roughly the size of a ping-pong ball and roll into balls.
- Place on a paper-lined baking sheet with a little space in between and bake for 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned.
I wish I could have found powdered vanilla but 1 teaspoon of extract worked just fine. I also couldn't find caramelized sunflower seeds so I found a recipe and posted it - Caramelized Sunflower Seeds. These are good cookies! I would even double the raisins and sunflower seeds next time. Made for Went to the Market tag game. Thanks Lalaloula! :)
Absolutely decadent! Wonderful! Loula, you sure outdid yourself here! These are melt-in-your-mouth little bites of deliciousness! I used two packets of Sesame Snaps (35g each), which I crumbled up, plus I added in two generous handfuls of pecans. This is the first time I've used powdered vanilla, and it was definately worth tracking down - as Syd said, it really shines through. Now, I'd better take these to work with me tomorrow, because otherwise, I am definately going to eat way too many of them! Thanks, Loula! Made for Veggie Swap 14.
The raisins got my attention here, & I was happy to make these just for myself, if need-be, but as almost always happens there were others around who wanted to help me clean the platter of cookies! I did use honey-roasted pecans, but another time I'd like to make this recipe using sunflower seeds! Whatever is used, though, it's definitely the vanilla that shines through! Thanks for another great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for my chosen chef in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 12]