Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Crocker Springs Bed & Breakfast.
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 2⁄3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup nuts (I prefer pecans)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
- Boil together the raisins, water, and butter.
- Cool slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix to make the dough.
- Pour dough into well greased (or sprayed) tin cans (#2 1/2 or soup cans) about 1/2 full.
- Bake for 50 minutes, but check after 45. Cool for 10 minutes and remove from cans.
- Cool a bit longer, then wrap in foil.
- Delicious when served with cream cheese or butter. Makes 4-5 #2 1/2 cans or 5-6 soup cans.