Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
You'll want to make this all year long. This is from Allrecipes.com. Prep time includes rest time. Recipe can easily be lightened up by making simple substitutions, 3/4 cup splenda, 6 egg whites, smart balance light for margarine, and 1/3cup raisins. Calorie/fat count dramatically goes down, and then ww points per serving (9 servings) becomes 2!
- 2 cups farfel
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Soak farfel in water 10 minutes. Drain.
- Add beaten eggs into the bowl of farfel, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir in raisins, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
- Transfer mixture to prepared dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 to 60 minutes.
I've had a box of matzo farfel that I didn't know what to do with and looked for a recipe that wouldn't end up in the trash since my family finds many Passover foods pretty boring. Well, this kugel was OUTSTANDING!! It surpassed all of my expectations. My husband and kids loved it as well. Definitely a winner. I followed the recipe exactly expect instead of 6 eggs, I used 2 whole eggs and 3/4 of a cup of egg whites. It was perfect!!! Thank you Sarit for another fabulous recipe!!!!
Very, very nice! I followed the directions & came up with a great-tasting kugel! Of course, I didn't think 1/2 cup of raisins was enough, so I jacked it up a little! LOVE THOSE RAISINS! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for an adopted chef of mine in this Spring's PAC]