Fruity tasty vegetarian curry, simple and quick. I made it up as I went along. (Rainbow - is what us South Africans call our nation - I feel this recipe reflects the multi-culturalness of our nation ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- oil (for frying)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry masala
- 1 teaspoon powder cumin
- 1 teaspoon powder coriander
- 1 teaspoon powder turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry leaf
- 1 tablespoon chinese hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 sliced onion
- 3/4 cup de puy lentils
- 1 (400 ml) can curry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon chinese fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato sauce
- 0.75 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup organic brown basmati rice
- 1Cook brown basmati rice, add 1/2 t turmeric and salt to taste.
- 2Heat oil in pan (moderate heat).
- 3Gry onions until partially cooked.
- 4Add all spices.
- 5Fry for about 1/2 a minute.
- 6Add the rest of the ingredients except lemon.
- 7Add approx 1.5 cups water.
- 8Bring to boil.
- 9Let simmer until lentils are cooked.
- 10Stir occasionally to prevent sicking.
- 11Add water if it gets dry (sauce should be thick).
- 12Add lemon just before serving.
- 13(The rice will take approx the same length of time to cook as this curry).
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rainbow Curry 1
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.5
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 30.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 384.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 20.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black bean sauce
fermented black beans