Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fruity tasty vegetarian curry, simple and quick. I made it up as I went along. (Rainbow - is what us South Africans call our nation - I feel this recipe reflects the multi-culturalness of our nation ;)
- oil (for frying)
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry masala
- 1 teaspoon powder cumin
- 1 teaspoon powder coriander
- 1 teaspoon powder turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry leaf
- 1 tablespoon chinese hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon miso
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 sliced onion
- 3⁄4 cup de puy lentils
- 1 (400 ml) cancurry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon chinese fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato sauce
- 0.75 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup organic brown basmati rice
- Cook brown basmati rice, add 1/2 t turmeric and salt to taste.
- Heat oil in pan (moderate heat).
- Gry onions until partially cooked.
- Add all spices.
- Fry for about 1/2 a minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except lemon.
- Add approx 1.5 cups water.
- Bring to boil.
- Let simmer until lentils are cooked.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sicking.
- Add water if it gets dry (sauce should be thick).
- Add lemon just before serving.
- (The rice will take approx the same length of time to cook as this curry).