- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium red potatoes
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
Directions See How It's Made
- slice potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- make tadka: heat oil in large wok over high heat. when oil begins to smoke, add mustard seeds, covering pan with lid or splatter screen. after seeds stop sputtering, add turmeric and stir for a second. immediately add onion, potatoes, salt, and cayenne. toss well, cover, and cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender, tossing occasionally, about 10 minute.