Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My DH does the cleaning of the ham, and always leaves some nice meat pieces on the bone so I can make this super easy, tasty soup! Enjoy!
- 1 ham bone
- 10 cups water (about)
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups lentils
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Place ham bone in a medium stock pot. Fill water to just cover ham bone.
- Bring water to a boil and add carrots, celery, potato, onion, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat to a medium simmer. Simmer 1 hour.
- Add lentils.
- 10 minutes before serving, bring back to a boil and add egg noodles.
- 5 minutes before serving, add peas.
- Serve when noodles are cooked to desired "doneness".
i added 1 tsp. of ground mustard, and 1/3 cup of ketchup to this recipe.....it was awesome, my hubby and i cooked in crockpot....started it in the afternoon, and let it cook all night......it was a hardy, flavor filled recipe
I used about a gallon of water to cover the ham bone. I used 3 tablespoons of Spike brand seasoning , and 1 tablespoon of seasoned salt , along with just 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper and 1 tablespoon of powdered garlic. Our ham bone was rather picked over before I could save it for the soup..no worries just went to the supermarket and bought a little (less than a lb)<br/>hamsteak. I cut up the hamsteak and threw it in the pot. The bone worked well as flavoring agent I'd say. This rest of the ingredients here work well. I would make this again
I had a large amount of ham left from Thanksgiving and wanted something other than my usual ham and green bean soup and this looked like just the thing. I made it per the recipe except for the lentils (didn't have any) and found it to be extremely bland. (I would have given it 2 stars.) To save the soup I added a can of crushed tomatoes, some vegetable bullion, some additional salt and pepper, a can of great northern beans, and a can of dark red kidney beans. The end result was sooooo good (5 stars, if I do say so myself)I will definitely make it again. (6)