Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Tasty fruity savoury rice salad. Ideal accompaniment for barbecued, grilled or baked meats & fish. My mum used to make this salad back home in Cape Town, South Africa when we had our braais (bbqs) & it was my favourite salad, crunchy & fruity but definitely savoury. yummy mummy!
- 1 cup plain long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon peri-peri
- 2 tablespoons chunky fruit chutney
- 125 g canned peaches
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 green pepper (capsicum)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (or to taste, careful not too much as will be too soggy)
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- Bring adequate (two cups?) amount of salted water to rolling boil, add rice, turmeric & raisins.
- Stir so that turmeric mixes into rice and can be absorbed, bring rice back to boil, then turn right down to simmer covered for rest of cooking time (10 - 12 minutes?).
- Once rice is cooked, rinse/drain; set aside to cool.
- Finely chop both green pepper & white onion.
- Chunky chop (not fine) half of the peaches from the can.
- Add pepper, onion, peaches, cayenne pepper/peri peri, chutney, mayonnaise, salt & pepper to rice turning ingredients into rice gently so as not to mash rice.
- Garnish with parsley.
- •Try adding 1/4 cup brown rice which would need cooking separately as it takes longer to cook. just stir into plain rice before adding other ingredients.
- •Using a tablespoon of either lemon or lime juice gives this dish a nice twist, or even try using lemon or lime rind for an extra zing.