Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I've been looking for quinoa recipes and found this one in Vegan Express by Nava Atlas. She recommends using a fragrant oil such as walnut oil or untoasted sesame oil but olive oil may be substituted if those oils aren't available.
Top Review by COOKGIRl
yum! Dreamer, we made veggie bowls with this recipe. Lined the bowls with baby spinach then added a spoonful of basmati rice, the vegetable mixture/beans, fresh mint and fresh cilantro, lime slices. Perfect! Bought organic cauliflower from the farmer's market just for this occasion, too! Don't skip the mint! Made for Veg Tag/April. Thank you!
- 1 1⁄4 cups quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or 2 tablespoons sesame oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions or 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small pieces and florets
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley (to taste)
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine quinoa with 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, or until water has been absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan; add onion and saute over medium-low heat until golden.
- Add cauliflower and about 1/3 cup water; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until cauliflower is just tender.
- Once quinoa is done, add it to the cauliflower mixture; add cranberries, pine nuts and parsley.
- Toss together then remove from heat.
- Drizzle in remaining oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.