Recipe by Mia in Germany
I had this in the bistro part of an organic food store in Colonia many years ago, and it was so good and simple that I've made it over and over again since then. In place of the large chopped tomatoes you can use halved cocktail tomatoes, too. You'll notice that I don't tell you to rinse the quinoa before cooking to remove bitter taste. I've done that for years until I once forgot to do it and realized that it didn't taste bitter at all. Since then I've never again rinsed the quinoa before cooking, and it never tasted bitter. Not sure if it's just the quinoa we get here, so feel free to rinse your quinoa anyway, it sure won't hurt - I'm just being lazy :) Cooling time is not included in cooking time!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1⁄2 red onion
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 dash salt
- black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the quinoa in the vegetable stock for 10-15 minutes or until quinoa is tender. I found that sometimes the quinoa absorbs all the liquid and sometimes not, seems to depend on the quinoa.
- Pour the cooked quinoa into a sieve and let cool to room temperature.
- Chop onion, sprinkle with salt and add red wine vinegar. Let stand until quinoa has cooled to room temperature.
- Add olive oil to the onion and vinegar, then add quinoa.
- Chop tomatoes and add to the quinoa.
- Add pepper to taste, mix well and serve either at room temperature or chilled.