Recipe by UmmBinat
A yummy gluten, dairy, corn, egg, yeast, soy, and nut free breakfast. My toddler loves this too.
Top Review by mersaydees
This was such a nice change for breakfast. I had never rinsed quinoa before and my package had recipes that didn't suggest it, but I tried it anyway and would do it again for this recipe. My local grocer doesn't carry cream of brown rice cereal so I used cream of rice cereal. The pinch of saffron was a delight to the eye as well as the palate. I look forward to making this again. Thanks, UmmBinat! Made for Veggie/NA*ME tag game.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 cup cream brown rice (Cream of brown rice cereal.. I use Healthy Times Brown Rice Baby Cereal)
- 1⁄4 cup rice milk, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash quinoa in a sieve thoroughly by rubbing it between your fingers. (This takes away any of its bitter taste).
- Drain well.
- Heat a small pot on med-high and dry toast the quinoa until lightly browned. Watching carefully.
- Add water, ground cardamom and saffron.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to med-low.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes until cooked (When quinoas tails show).
- There still should be some liquid in the pot if not add an additional 1/4 cup water and mix.
- Gradually add the rice cereal a little at a time (This is important). Stir after each addition until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey.
- Serve as is or with rice milk.