Recipe by MichJ
From http://feedyourfamily.blogspot.com This meatless chili makes a fantastic main course; it satisfies my comfort-food cravings, but is a much healthier alternative to traditional chili. Quinoa is packed with protein and amino acids - Wikipedia calls it a "complete protein source." We love this chili with half an avocado or some light sour cream, and I double the cayenne pepper because I like it hot! Enjoy!
Top Review by Dans La Lune
I've always prided myself on the amount of TLC that goes into my homemade chili (it has lots of beer in it!) which simmers on the stove for hours... but since becoming mostly vegetarian, I had searched for a good vegetarian recipe that would still slightly resemble the texture of ground meat and offer adequate protein. I guessed quinoa, and boy was I right. But that's not all... not any quinoa chili recipe, but THIS ONE. This one brings it to a whole new level. I mean, Chili without chili powder?! How gourmet! That's not even something I had ventured into in my own chili recipe. But the spice / herb mixture here is superb. Anyway, for this one, I only use one can of kidney beans and I omit the corn (allergic!). I serve it with grated cheddar cheese, chopped onions, and sour cream. Thanks for a wonderful, healthy, and super-delicious recipe!
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water & drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté until tender.
- Add salt, garlic, pepper and spices; sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Add rinsed quinoa and stir. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer together 20 minutes.
- Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, sliced avocados or whatever else you like to put on chili.