Quinoa Vegetarian Chili
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (or a mixture of red, yellow & green peppers)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained (or whatever type you have on hand)
- 1 cup corn
- In a large, deep saucepan, heat oil over medium heat;.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, pepper & garlic. Cook, stirring until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes;.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir for 1 minute;.
- Add tomatoes with juices and stock. Bring to a boil and add sugar and vinegar; season with salt and pepper;.
- Add quinoa, beans and corn. Cook, stirring until mixture returns to a boil;.
- Reduce heat to low;.
- Cover and simmer until quinoa is tender – about 25 minutes.
- Note: when re-heating, you may wish to add extra stock or water.
Join The Conversation