Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I loved the idea of using quinoa in tacos, and this is what has evolved as a favorite variation around here. Feel free to adjust toppings to your favorites. This also works with soft tacos (the 6" size), but the extra texture provided by a crunchy shell with the soft filling is a nice touch.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 8 ounces refried beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 hard taco shells
- 1⁄2 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, to taste
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, about 15 minutes.
- When quinoa is done cooking and water has been absorbed, stir in refried beans, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine and reduce to low heat.
- Stir in shredded cheese until it melts. Be careful to continue stirring frequently, otherwise the mixture may scorch on the bottom.
- If desired, warm taco shells according to package directions.
- Stuff quinoa bean mixture evenly into taco shells and finish with your desired toppings.
I used red quinoa, blue tacos, I did add salsa Cultured Spicy Salsa
to the bean mixture for more moisture. Add a fresh slice avocado to mine along with additional salsa. Thanks!
We really enjoyed this quinoa taco recipe last night. I would not have thought to use quinoa in my bean tacos, so making this recipe has inspired all kinds of future variations. We used soft flour tacos because DH doesn't care as much for hard shells, red quinoa, skipped the lettuce, subbed a fresh serrano pepper for the jalapeno (what I had on hand) and monterey jack for the cheese (also what I had on hand). Made Elly's World Famous Black Beans from the Elly Says Opa! website for the side, which worked well. DH was talking about trying this recipe next time with black beans instead of refried. Anyway, thanks for a great recipe that is wonderful as is, and for other future variations. Made for Veggie Swap April 2013.
I love simple and delicious and this recipe was both! I loved the extra texture that the quinoa gave the beans. I spiced up the mixture a bit for our tastes, but the base was wonderful. My new go-to taco and enchilada filling!