Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaptation of what was originally a Quaker Oats recipe. Easy, cheap, quick, absolutely delicious, nutritious and the best thing - you'll know exactly what you put in 'em. Everybody (including the kiddies) loves these!
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick oats or 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄8 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup or 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional) or 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine ingredients and mix well.
- Press firmly into well-greased 9"X9" pan (although I had so much trouble extracting the bars from my ancient pan, I bought a silicone pan just for this recipe!).
- Bake 22-25 minutes until golden & bubbly.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.
I made a half batch of this a few days ago in a bread pan lined with parchment paper. Since I didn't have quite enough oatmeal to make half a recipe, I ground up a little bit of Kashi GoLean Crunch in the blender and mixed it in with the oatmeal I had. It worked quite well. My only complaint is that it seemed a little too sweet. Maybe I will try making it with corn syrup next time. I also think craisins might taste good in it; so, I'm thinking about trying that sometime too.
VERY yummy bars! These turned out hard for me, but in the Nature's Valley kind of way, so it was great! I liked a pan with some of the non-stick foil and it came off with no problems! We did a mix of half peanut butter chips and half chocolate chips, used butter instead of margarine, and used honey. VERY yummy! The preschool kids at my homeschool preschool LOVED LOVED LOVED them! Thank you very much for this keeper of a recipe!! It's awesome!
I have THE pickiest kids in my home.. and they LOVED these. They were quick, easy and GONE! I put in some craisins and raisins and mini chocolate chips... I also flipped the pan over onto a cutting board right out of the oven, and let cool on there so it wouldn't stick to my pan!! worked out well. Thanks for the new snack!