Grab 'n' Go Crispy Granola Bars
- Ready In:
18 bars, about
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats, ground in food processor (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, ground in food processor (about 1/2 cup, may use other nuts if you like-if allergic to nuts, use 1/2 cup more ground oats)
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 cup crispy brown rice cereal (or Rice Krispies)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (any neutral tasting oil)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (or any dried fruit you like-optional)
- Preheat oven to 300*F.
- Line a 9" square or 13x9" bakiing pan completely with foil or parchment paper and butter the foil(or spray with cooking spray).
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, almonds, wheat germ, ground flax seeds, cereal, fry milk, cinnamon, and salt. Mix in the oil, honey, vanilla, and the optional chocolate chips and fruit, if using.
- Mix well, then pour into the prepared baking pan. Press down with the palm of your hand, evenly distributing the mixture into the corners of the dish and bake for 15-18 minutes. Check occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove from the oven and using the foil to help you, lift the giant bar out of the pan. Place on a flat surface and while still warm, cut into small bars.
- Store in an airtight container fo up to a week, or freeZe in plastic bags. Enjoy!
Join The Conversation
These were a big hit. First time I made these I didn't have any dry milk and they turned out too gooey but still tasted great (I probably should have tried adding extra ground oatmeal instead?). Anyway, this time I made them exactly per directions and they were perfect. I used semi sweet chocolate chips and craisins, and baked them in a 9-13 pan. (Made 16 bars.)
These taste delicious but I had an problem with mine sticking to the aluminum foil and I did butter it generously. With that issue they were not able to be removed in bars. I did omit a few of the ingredients not sure how that could have played a part in sticking. I used whole almonds with their skin, which I ground of course, no wheat germ as we are allergic to gluten, no flax seeds as I did not have them on hand, organic chocolate puffed brown rice cereal, no dry milk powder as we are milk free, sea salt, canola oil to be soy free, creamed honey in a bit lesser amount, halal vanilla paste, plus the rest of the ingredients besides the optionals. I increased the puffed rice and oats to make up for the left out dry ingredients.
This recipe make a nice addition to my slowly growing file of tasty bars for my other half to munch on at work, & I like having them available right here at home, as well! I did include the raisins in all the bars & the chocolate chips in half of them! Very, very nice, & a worthy recipe keeper! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]