Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
After perusing all of the BB soup recipes, I came up with this one.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or more to desired consistency)
- 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (diced)
- In a large heavy pot (soup pot or dutch oven), sautee vegetables, seasonings, and bay leaf in oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add sherry and broth.
- Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans and tomatoes with chilies and heat until simmering about 1/2 hour.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Using a stick blender, pulse to puree the soup to desired consistency (I like to puree about half.).