Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Nick Malgieri's book Bake!. This is a companion recipe to Danish Cheese Pockets, but you can use any Danish pastry recipe and/or filling you desire.
- Whisk yeast into water.
- Wait 1-2 minutes, then whisk again.
- Whisk in milk.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in food processor and pulse to mix.
- Cut 4 tablespoons butter into thin slices and add to processor.
- Pulse to a fine texture, but do not allow to become pasty.
- Cut remaining butter into 1/2 inch cubes and add to processor.
- Pulse exactly twice, for 1 second each time.
- Remove dough from processor and place in mixing bowl.
- Whisk eggs into yeast mixture and add to bowl.
- Position a rubber spatula so its blade is flat and parallel with the bottom of the bowl.
- Repeatedly dig spatula down to the bottom of the bowl, while turning bowl.
- Repeat until dough comes together. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Press plastic wrap against surface of dough and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Scrape chilled dough onto a floured surface and sprinkle flour over the top of the dough.
- Press dough into a rectangle about twice as long as it is wide.
- Starting at the narrow edge farthest from you, firmly press dough with a rolling pin in parallel strokes close to each other.
- If there are sticky pieces of butter on the surface of the dough, seal them with a pinch of flour.
- Clean off anything stuck to the rolling pin before continuing.
- Repeat pressing motion from the close to the farther narrow end of dough.
- Press once in the width. You should now have a 1/2 inch thick rectangle.
- Sprinkle flour under and on top of dough.
- Roll away back in length, and once in the width, without rolling over ends, to make a rectangle 18 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Fold the two narrow ends in toward the middle, leaving a 1 inch space in the center.
- Fold top to bottom to form 4 layers.
- Reposition dough so folded edge is on your left.
- Repeat rolling and folding procedure.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours and a maximum of 12 hours before using.
- Use in the Danish pastry recipe of your choice.