Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a quick, even hastily prepared side dish. It goes well with Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and North African foods, and also amazingly well with curries. It's low cal, and fat-free.
- Open a large can of whole peeled tomatoes.
- Remove the tomatoes, and put them into a bowl.
- Pour the liquid from the can into a small saucepan.
- Add the salt, garlic and cumin.
- Cook this on medium heat, and reduce the amount by half.
- The sauce will thicken.
- Add the tomatoes, and heat them in the sauce.
- Serve immediately, or reheat just before serving.
- The longer the tomatoes can soak up the flavors, the better.
- You could add basil, or any herb.
Wow, it really doesn't get any easier than this! I used a 28oz can of tomatoes, though & barely had enough for 3 people. BUT, we loved it & ignored the 'serving size.' :)
Sometimes I misread a recipe and really mess it up. Sometimes it comes out wonderfully. This was one of those times. Canned tomatoes, the recipe calls for canned WHOLE tomatoes! I used a can of CRUSHED tomatoes. I couldn't understand how in the directions is says to remove the tomatoes from the liquid, the whole thing is just one big slushy mess! So I just poured the whole thing into the pot and continued merrily along with the recipe. Luckily for me this cooked up beautifully! I used 2 minced cloves of garlic instead of the garlic powder, and added a dash of za'atar to the mix as well. Stuff was super yummy! We had it with eggs and m'llawach for a light supper. Good stuff!