Adapted from an Epicurious recipe. Serve with sour cream, and tortilla strips and avocado if desired.
- 10 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounces diced low-sodium tomatoes, with juice
- 3⁄4 cup onion (sliced or chopped)
- 3 dried New Mexico chiles, stems & seeds discarded and chiles torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can red beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pink beans
- Purée broth, tomatoes, chiles, onion, garlic, cilantro, seeds, cumin, and salt in a blender until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Heat oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then pour in sauce and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely shred chicken.
- Stir chicken and beans (with juices) into chili, then reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.