Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is the result of a mad craving for green chile when I didn't have the time to make enchiladas or casserole. I must say this definitely sates the inner chile demon, or at least keeps it at bay for another day...
- 3⁄4 lb chicken breast, cut up
- 4 garlic cloves (or 2 cloves and a LOT of garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato (or half a 15 oz can)
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and snapped
- 1 cup zucchini (or half zucchini half yellow squash)
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 avocado, diced (for garnish)
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat to medium high.
- Add the garlic, onion, and chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the other vegetables and cook until tender. You may want to put a lid on for a moment to steam them if you are in a hurry.
- In a small bowl combine the Velveeta and enchilada sauce. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the pan and mix to coat the vegetables and chicken. Add the rice and mix well.
- Top individual servings with chunks of avocado and serve hot.
We loved this flavorful dish! I don't care for onions so left them out, and didn't use the avocado. Loved all the veggies in this, as well as the creamy cheese/green chili sauce. I ended up being rushed for time when I made this and didn't get the rice cooked, so I just added a couple of whole wheat tortillas, chopped up, instead. It was really good that way but I look forward to trying with the rice too. Thanks for posting the recipe!
This is a great dish! I loved the flavors. For the full recipe I used one can of enchilada sauce, a whole avocado, and left out the Velveeta, since we don't care for it. It was great without any cheese. The two of us ate half the chicken mixture with all the brown rice. Tomorrow night I think we will have the chicken veggie leftovers over cubed potatoes. Thanks!