Recipe by smellyvegetarian
This is the result of a mad craving for green chile when I didn't have the time to make enchiladas or casserole. I must say this definitely sates the inner chile demon, or at least keeps it at bay for another day...
Top Review by loof
We loved this flavorful dish! I don't care for onions so left them out, and didn't use the avocado. Loved all the veggies in this, as well as the creamy cheese/green chili sauce. I ended up being rushed for time when I made this and didn't get the rice cooked, so I just added a couple of whole wheat tortillas, chopped up, instead. It was really good that way but I look forward to trying with the rice too. Thanks for posting the recipe!
- 3⁄4 lb chicken breast, cut up
- 4 garlic cloves (or 2 cloves and a LOT of garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato (or half a 15 oz can)
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and snapped
- 1 cup zucchini (or half zucchini half yellow squash)
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 avocado, diced (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray and heat to medium high.
- Add the garlic, onion, and chicken and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the other vegetables and cook until tender. You may want to put a lid on for a moment to steam them if you are in a hurry.
- In a small bowl combine the Velveeta and enchilada sauce. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese starts to melt.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the pan and mix to coat the vegetables and chicken. Add the rice and mix well.
- Top individual servings with chunks of avocado and serve hot.