Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is very quick and simple to make. If we are having company, I can double the recipe without adding a lot of time making this recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans, undrained (I use B&M)
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use Open Pit)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 slices bacon, cut into match stick lengths
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon horseradish, reserve for sauce
- In a saute pan, heat butter, add bacon, onion and garlic.
- Saute until onion and garlic is soft, not brown.
- Add barbeque sauce and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- With slotted spoon, remove the bean mixture to serving bowl.
- By using the slotted spoon, it will allow enough of the sauce to remain with the beans and leave plenty in the saute pan for the sauce.
- With remaining sauce in saute pan, add 1 TB.
- horseradish and simmer until hot.
- Serve on the side to drizzle over steak and we also enjoy this with ham steak.
- We serve this with ham or steak, hot rolls and cole slaw.
Excellent and flavorful bean recipe! I think the bacon and the horseradish stand out as very complementary tastes and suit the bean sauce perfectly. I hope to someday share this recipe with you in our heavenly bodies. Until then you will be sorely missed. Rest in peace, Judy-Jude. ~Sue
I made this in your memory Judy-Jude May you rest in Peace. The recipe is so easy and so tasty - The horseradish is fabulous and gives the beans a very special flavor boost. Great for brunch lunch or dinner. I served it with meatballs & mushrooms