Recipe by Carrie A
This recipe is a family favorite. The few people that know I use canned biscuits cannot believe it! I think they are better than homemade. This is the only leftovers that get eaten in my house until they are gone. Even the people I work with made me bring some in after seeing them when I brought them to lunch!!
- 3 -4 chicken breast halves
- 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) can stock
- 32 fluid ounces water
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- salt and pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) cans Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth and water to a boil in large pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. (Remember you have a lot of broth to flavor).
- Add chicken. Cover and simmer over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken to slightly cool.
- Turn heat on high.
- During this time rip each biscuit into 3 pieces, add to pot coating each piece with broth.
- Cover, cook for about 7 minutes.
- Remove lid, gently flip or stir dumplings to cook other side.
- Cover for 7-10 minutes until dumplings seem sturdy.
- Taste gravy, salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove skin from chicken, and rip from bone into chunks.
- Add chicken back to pot, simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes.
- The dumplings will look like a large amount, but they will shrink as they cook.
- Also, they will float and cover the entire pot, so don't worry!
- Enjoy, they are delicious!