1/3 Photos of Quesadillas and Black Bean Pico De Gallo
3 hrs 15 mins
Here is a fast, easy way to make a great snack with chicken. Kids will like the cheesy goodness. Adults will love the pico de gallo (literally, "beak of the rooster." It is an excellent chunky salsa with the nutrients kicked way up by the black beans. I use a combination of butter and olive oil in a skillet to get the crispier exterior. If you like, you can spray each quesadilla with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted, but this does not give the same crispness. Prep time includes 3 hours refigeration time for the pico.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 cup broccoli slaw mix
- 1/8 cup cilantro leaf
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno
- 3 ounces Laughing Cow cheese, 4 wedges
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
Pico de gallo
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons great american land and cattle company steak and meat seasoning (see note below to order or use)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1Note: order Great American Land and Cattle company Steak and Meat Seasoning at www.grtamerican.com.
- 2Cook chicken in 1 T medium hot oil about five minutes per side until juices run clear. Remove from heat.
- 3Rinse and drain black beans. Add them to a mixing bowl. Add in cooked chicken.
- 4dice 1/4 C cilantro, cucumber, 5 roma tomatoes, 3 jalapenos (if you like heat, leave the seeds in, if you don't like it so hot, seed the peppers first), and 1/2 C onion.
- 5Add to a second smaller bowl.
- 6Add seasonings pico de gallo mixture bowl. Use Great American land and Cattle Company seasoning or use spice blend above.
- 7cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours for flavors to mix.
- 8Heat 2 T butter and 2 T olive oil in a large cast iron skillet.
- 9Mix filling ingredients together , (except for cheeses and pico de gallo)
- 10Spread 1 wedge Laughing Cow cheese on 1/2 of flour tortilla.
- 11Add about 1/4 of filling ingredients. Spread with back of spoon.
- 12add 1/8 C mozzarella cheese on top.
- 13Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Fold one side over to form a semi-circle.
- 15cook in hot oil about 5 minutes per side until lightly browned (be careful when flipping the quesadilla over--use one spatula to flip and one on top to hold the filling intact) Do not burn.
- 16Repeat with 3 remaining tortillas.
- 17Remove from pan and slice in 4 wedges each.
- 18Serve with tomato slices, avocado slices and sour cream.
- 19Serve with pico de gallo.
- 20Muy Sabroso!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Quesadillas and Black Bean Pico De Gallo
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 750.1
- Calories from Fat 465
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 2914.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless skinless chicken breasts