Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Cheesy Gourmet Quiche - Yum!
For the crust
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 78.07 ml vegetable shortening, chilled
- 44.37 ml ice water
- flour, for dusting
- 4 eggs
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 0.25 ml black pepper
- 0.25 ml dry mustard
- 0.25 ml paprika
For the Filling
- 6 slice bacon, cooked and chopped coarsely
- 78.07 ml diced yellow onion, sauteed until translucent
- 85.04 g gruyere, grated
- 85.04 g swiss cheese, emmental grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Cut in the shortening. Add water to bring the dough together. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and place into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Make the egg mixture: In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, pepper, dry mustard and paprika. Set aside.
- Assemble: Sprinkle the bacon, then onion, and then the cheeses on top of the crust, saving 1 chopped slice of bacon for the top garnish. Pour the egg mixture slowly into the shell to the rim. Sprinkle the reserved bacon on top of the quiche.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Then remove the foil and finish baking for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*WONDERFUL* Great texture and flavor :) The crust is so easy to make and comes out nice and flaky. For the filling I did add 2 more eggs, other than that made as written. This goes into my breakfast rotation and will be made often. Thanks for posting such a super Quiche recipe. *Made for Spring 2010 PAC*