Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Purple Hull Peas are a lot like black eyed peas. We buy ours fresh and already shelled from a roadside farm stand in East Texas. We keep them in a cooler for our four hour trip back home. I put them in the fridge and make this ASAP usually the next day. I got this recipe from purplehull.com. but I use half the sugar and half the salt that the original had. We love the healthier version and hope you will too.
- 1 quart fresh shelled purple hull peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Well Rinse the Purple Hull Peas -I put mine in a colander in a bowl and fill with cold water and rinse several times until I can see when the water is clear.
- Fill a Three Quart Sauce Pan half way with water - about 6 Cups.
- Place on High Heat.
- Add Salt, Olive Oil, and Sugar.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Add Peas.
- Bring the water back to a rolling boil.
- Then turn the heat down Med-Low.
- Wait until they Simmer.
- Then Cover and Simmer for 90 minutes.
Thanks for the basic guidelines for cooking purple hull peas! I knew they were like black eyed peas, but I wasn't quite sure how to prepare them. Anyhow, I did everything as directed, but after about 45 minutes the peas were quite soft! So, I took them off the heat and served them that way. I think if I would've left them the full 90 minutes they would've been mush! Anyhow, they were great, thanks again.