These take a little while to assemble but aren't difficult to make. Submitted for ZWT 9 Greece. From the Women's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped (or ground)
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped (or ground)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 20 sheets phyllo dough (12x15 inches)
- 1 cup butter, melted
- cinnamon, Honey Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients except phyllo and butter.
- Brush half of a sheet of phyllo with meted butter fold other half over and brush with butter so that you have a piece of phyllo 7 1/2 x 12 inches. Sprinkle with 1 TBL of nut mixture. Beginning at one end roll phyllo as you would a jelly roll. Cut into halves making 2 rolls approximately 3 1/4 inches in length.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet (or on parchment) with smooth side of pastry up and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. While hot dip into warm Cinnamon-Honey Syrup and drain. (Don't burn your fingers!).
- Cinnamon-Honey Syrup.
- Mix all ingredients together and simmer for 30 minutes. Cook only until light brown.