Recipe by punkyluv
Another one of my "lets get rid of what we have on hand before it goes bad" dishes. Poor hubby use to get so nervous when I started doing things like this, but now he looks forward to seeing what I can throw together. I am only guess that it serves 6-8 we had it for a few nights and ended throwing a little away. I also say it takes 15-20 to make but that is if everything is already copped and the rice is cooked. I also served with a simple salad. Feel free to add anything or leave something out. My husband likes me to add chicken for a fuller meal.
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used brown, but I am sure white will work just as good)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 yellow squash, sliced thin
- 1 cup chopped white onion (or whatever you have)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced (more if you wish)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes (or reg.diced)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mexicorn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, I used Italian blend but Monterey jack would also be good
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced cooked chicken (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F; lightly grease a shallow casserole dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook zucchini, onion, bell pepper, mushroom and garlic, 5 min, or until tender.
- Add garlic salt, basil, paprika, cayenne pepper, and oregano.
- Mixed in cooked rice, tomatoes, beans, corn and half of the cheese. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Transfer to the prepared dish. Top with remaining cheese and bake uncovered 20 minutes or until bubbly.