Recipe by Rita~
Tickle you taste buds with this Hearty, Comforting, Spicy Soup. It is thicken with pumpkin puree and tomato paste. A culinary flavor explosion from the onion, garlic, lime, chipotle and dried chili. Textures you mouth will enjoy from the crisp tortillas, to creamy avocados. Use either the guajillo chile a pointed, long and narrow with a shiny, deep red skin. It can be rather hot and is used to round out the flavor in both sauces and in cooked dishes. OR you can use the Ancho which is deep reddish-brown in color, the rich, slightly fruity and is the sweetest of the dried chiles. Give it a try you'll be happy you did!
- olive oil
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml cardamom
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 baby carrots, fine diced
- 1 dried guajillo chile, soaked in warm water removed seed and sliced thin
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeds removed and diced
- 236.59 ml white wine (water can be used)
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml canned pumpkin or 236.59 ml pureed butternut squash
- 907.18 g organic low-fat chicken broth
- 236.59 ml frozen corn, brought to room temperature
- oil, for frying
- 8 corn tortillas, sliced
- 1-2 avocado, diced
- 1 lime, sliced
- sour cream, to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro, rough chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat breast with salt, pepper and cardamom. Heat oil in a pot medium high heat. Brown chicken on both sides and remove setting a side. Will not be completely cooked at this point.
- Add to pot onion, garlic and carrots saute till tender about 5 minutes adding a touch more oil if needed.
- Add chiles.
- Add wine to deglaze and reduce completely.
- Add tomato paste and stir to coat onion mixture. Cook 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add pumpkin puree stir in and follow with chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
- Dice browned chicken and add to pot.
- Add corn and 2 tablespoon cilantro. Simmer till tortillas are ready.
- Meanwhile heat inch oil and fry corn tortilla strips in batches. When browned remove to paper towel to drain and season with salt.
- These are tempting so you may want to fry a couple extra. ;).
- In bowls place tortilla strips, ladle soup over tortillas.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, avocados, sour cream and lime slices to be squeezed over soup.