Looking for a new way to celebrate the holiday? For reasons both practical and sentimental, our family loves to make spritz cookies. These are quite different from butter or cream cheese cookies and will round out the trays nicely
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in sugar and spices until well combined and the granules have begun to melt. Mix in pumpkin, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until well combined.
- Place into a cookie press and press out shapes onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Lightly sprinkle cookies with the spiced sprinkling sugar.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until set but not browned. Allow to cool 2 minutes on baking sheet then remove to wire racks to cool completely.