Recipe by MrsScarlettOhara
Thank you Country Home for this wonderful recipe!! I wanted to share with you all:-) The recipe needed to be written out for ease of use so I did (they had it jumbled up on the website). I added walnuts to the recipe...love those! If you don't have BUTTERMILK then use cow's milk mixed with 2 TBSP of white Vinegar. I also included the frosting that I used instead of the one the site had. Also if you only have a 1/4 cup and not a 3/4 cup simply fill a 1 cup up to about 1/2 inch from the top other wise you'll have to use the 1/4 cup 3 times....just a nice little short cut I like to use:-)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts (throw it into the batter or save it to sprinkle on top of the frosting in the end)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 3⁄4 cup canned pumpkin
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven at 350.
- In a medium bowl stir together the first 10 ingredients listed; set aside.
- beat softened butter and shortening on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Measure Buttermilk in a liquid measuring cup then stir in Pumpkin. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes (for a 9inch only 25 min) or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cake layers from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING BELOW.
- 1 8oz pk cream cheese.
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or more if you want a thicker frosting).
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter.
- 1 TBSP cream (optional).
- Combine frosting in no particular order & use. Be sure to store the cake in the fridge due to the cream cheese in the frosting.