Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake is very moist and the flavor can't be beat.
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix (without pudding in the mix)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional)
- 8 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place cake mix, pudding mix, pumpkin, oil, water, eggs and spice in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake 32 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for at least 20 minutes.
- To make frosting, place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed about 30 seconds.
- Add the confectioner's sugar and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice. Blend with the mixer on low speed approximately 1 minute.
- Increase the speed to medium and mix approximately 1 more minute, until the frosting is light and fluffy. If needed, blend in 1 more tablespoon of orange juice to obtain proper consistency.
- Frost the top of the cake. If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
This was really good! The cake was very moist with a nice spice flavour with a hint of pumpkin. I was making a pumpkin-shaped cake, so I did up a double recipe, which I baked in four 8" round tins. It was perfect for my project! Thanks for posting.
Perfect! I didn't change a thing and it turned out great.
Wonderful blend of flavors. This cake tasted very rich and was very moist. I would have preferred a more pronounced orange flavor in the frosting but everyone else loved it. This will be a repeat, especially around the holidays.