Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Something different to make with pumpkin. Goes well with grilled chops or sausages. This recipe was given to me by our next door neighbour Maewyn when I was about 10yrs old and learning to cook different foods:) I could always be found in her kitchen when not in ours:)
- Boil pumpkin in salted water til tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Add egg yolks and mix in well.
- Whip egg whites until soft peaks form then fold in carefully.
- Put mix into greased ovenware dish and bake at 350deg for 20-25minutes.
- Variations: Add some finely chopped onion before baking.
- Add some chopped parsley and grated cheese.
- Add some diced cooked bacon.
I made this last night, adding cheese and parsley, but unfortunately my husband and I both thought it was too bland. Since I have a lot of pumpkin to use up, I decided to make it again tonight, only this time I added chipotle pepper, cilantro, and a bit of honey, and we ended up really liking it that way. I might experiment with different additions in the future.
Wonderful dish - I added cheese, bacon and moroccan seasoning and we all loved it. DD aged 17 looked at it and said it just looked like mashed pumpkin and then proceeded to clear her plate totally ! Next time will add herbs from the garden but it was too chilly for me to make the foray but there will be a next time.
Everyone loved this and gobbled it right up. I added 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan in with the egg yolks and did the rest just as described. It took about 35 minutes of cooking 'til set but was light and airy right out of the oven. Yum!