1/2 Photos of Pumpkin Polenta With Italian Sausage and Fennel
Mommy Diva's Note:
November/December 2005 RR magazine. Looks great for Fall dinners!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan (EVOO)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 14 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta (or instant)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup pecorino romano cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- 1 large fennel bulb (quartered, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated (eyeball it)
- 1Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the sausage.
- 2Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- 3Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO (1 turn of the pan) to the skillet and then the onion and fennel.
- 4Cook the vegetables over moderate heat until tender but not brown.
- 5Add the wine and return the sausage to the skillet.
- 6Cook the wine away, a minute or so.
- 7In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil and stir in the pumpkin.
- 8Return to a boil, whisk in the polenta and stir until it masses together, 2 minutes (Watch out for splatters.)
- 9Remove the polenta from the heat and stir in the nutmeg, thyme, salt, pepper and Pecorino Romano cheese.
- 10Top the pumpkin polenta with the sausage and fennel.
- 11Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Polenta With Italian Sausage and Fennel
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 398.4
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.7 mg
- Sodium 944.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese