Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my alteration of a Better Home and Gardens recipe. I use this recipe because it calls for milk instead of evaporated milk, and I made a few small changes like using fresh puree instead of canned, more vanilla and added ginger. Because of the fresh puree it takes longer to bake.
- 1 pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half or 1⁄4 cup light cream or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Prepare and roll pastry for single-crust pie.
- Line a 9" pie plate with pastry.
- Trim; crimp edge as desired.
- In a large bowl stir together eggs, pumpkin, and half-and-half.
- Stir in sugar, flour, vanilla, salt cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pastry-lined pie plate.
- To prevent over browning, cover edge of pie with foil.
- Bake in 375 F oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
- For Thanksgiving 2006 I added 3 small gala apples, sliced to the pie.
This pumpkin pie is to die for. The best pumpkin pie I have ever made. I did not use fresh pumpkin...I substituted libby's canned. I used 2% milk... and made the pie exactly as instructed other than the above. I love the use of ginger in the pie- many pumpkin pies call for clove and this did not which I believe is the secret to an amazing pumpkin pie.
I can't believe I forgot to rate this recipe!!! I made this pie for my Christmas dinner, it was a hit!! I used milk, which worked well with less calories than cream. I used 1 tbsp of a pre mixed pumpkin pie spice, in place of the other spices. The flavor was perfect!! It took a little longer in my oven (about 1 hr 20 mins total). I love that I used all natural and organic ingredients, and everyone loved it. There were no complaints that it was too "healthy" tasting. I will be using this recipe from now on. Thanks :D
This was okay. I really loved the consistency, but as far as the taste, I think I like my pie a bit sweeter, so I would probably add a bit more sugar. I also didn't care much for the ginger taste, so I think next time I would just use the normal clove instead. I will probably make this again though using those changes.