Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This came from a Tea Room (closed many years ago) in Easton, MD. I believe it was given to my grandmother in the 1950s. It has been a family tradition for over half a century, no other pumpkin pie will do!
- 2 cups mashed pumpkin or 2 cups sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar (not too full)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 pint whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
for sweet potato
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into one extra large or 2 - 3 smaller pie crusts, depending on the size of your pan. Do Not Overfill ! Extra filling is easily cooked in a small oven proof dish along side the pies.
- NOTES: I use canned plain pumpkin but for the sweet potato variation I poke fresh ones with a fork and microwave until tender. I've only made the sweet potato pie once.
- Cook time is 15 minutes at 450 degrees F. and then turn the oven down to 350 degrees F. for another half hour or until table knife inserted in center of pie comes out clean.