Sydney Mike's Note:
This slightly tweaked, warming recipe, with its combo of yam, pumpkin & carrot, comes from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium yam, unpeeled, sliced (about 8 oz)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, canned, solid-pack
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1Cook yam in boiling water until tender, about 7 minutes, then drain & set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3In large, nonstick ovenproof skillet, warm 1 TEASPOON olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- 4Add carrot, scallions & garlic, & cook, stirring frequently, until carrot is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet & set aside to cool slightly.
- 5In a medium bowl, stir together the whole eggs, egg whites, pumpkin puree, ginger, salt, pepper & nutmeg, then stir in the carrot mixture.
- 6In the same skillet, over medium heat, warm remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil until hot but not smoking.
- 7Add yam & stir to coat.
- 8Spoon egg/carrot mixture on top & sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- 9Cook until bottom is set, about 5 minutes.
- 10Transfer skillet to oven & bake until frittata is set, about 10 minutes.
- 11Cut into wedges, serve & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Frittata
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 197.7
- Calories from Fat 76
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 99.1 mg
- Sodium 449.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 11.4 g