Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This slightly tweaked, warming recipe, with its combo of yam, pumpkin & carrot, comes from The Simply Healthy Lowfat Cookbook, 1995.
- 1 medium yam, unpeeled, sliced (about 8 oz)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin puree, canned, solid-pack
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook yam in boiling water until tender, about 7 minutes, then drain & set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large, nonstick ovenproof skillet, warm 1 TEASPOON olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add carrot, scallions & garlic, & cook, stirring frequently, until carrot is soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet & set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the whole eggs, egg whites, pumpkin puree, ginger, salt, pepper & nutmeg, then stir in the carrot mixture.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, warm remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil until hot but not smoking.
- Add yam & stir to coat.
- Spoon egg/carrot mixture on top & sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook until bottom is set, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer skillet to oven & bake until frittata is set, about 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges, serve & enjoy!
This was the first time we tried Pumpkin Friatta, and we all enjoyed this. It had a wonderful combination of spices, and we were pleased. No leftovers here . Definately have to save this and make again. Made for PRMR tag..
This is so yummy!! My husband really liked it also and he normally does not eat anything pumpkin. All the flavors really go together nicely. I had a bag of shredded carrots so I used a 1/2 cup and it seemed like it was the right amount. I forgot how much I like yams. Really nice, light dish.