1 hr 30 mins
Abby C's Note:
Simply delicious... what more can I say?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml unsalted butter
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml water
- 6 large eggs
- 709.77 ml canned solid-pack pumpkin (slightly less than two 15-ounce cans)
- 425.24 g can cream of coconut
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a dry heavy saucepan, cook sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork (to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden.
- 3Cook caramel, without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden.
- 4Pour caramel into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish and tilt dish to coat bottom.
- 5Cool caramel.
- 6Melt butter and cool.
- 7In a large bowl, whisk together flour and water until smooth and whisk in butter and remaining flan ingredients until smooth.
- 8Pour custard into baking dish and put dish in a larger baking pan.
- 9Add enough water to pan to reach halfway up side of dish and bake custard in middle of oven 1 hour, or until set.
- 10Remove dish from pan and keep temperature at 350 degrees F.
- 11Make the meringue: In a bowl, with an electric mixer beat whites until they just hold soft peaks.
- 12Gradually, beat in sugar and beat meringue until it holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- 13Spread meringue evenly over custard and bake in middle of oven (not in a water bath) until golden, about 5 minutes.
- 14Cool dessert on a rack.
- 15Chill dessert until cold, about 4 hours, and up to 1 day.
- 16Cut dessert in squares.
- 17(Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pumpkin Flan with Meringue
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 930.8
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 36.2 g
- Cholesterol 279.3 mg
- Sodium 440.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 83.6 g
- Protein 16.6 g