Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simply delicious... what more can I say?
Make and share this Pumpkin Flan with Meringue recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin (slightly less than two 15-ounce cans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a dry heavy saucepan, cook sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly with a fork (to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden.
- Cook caramel, without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden.
- Pour caramel into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish and tilt dish to coat bottom.
- Cool caramel.
- Melt butter and cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and water until smooth and whisk in butter and remaining flan ingredients until smooth.
- Pour custard into baking dish and put dish in a larger baking pan.
- Add enough water to pan to reach halfway up side of dish and bake custard in middle of oven 1 hour, or until set.
- Remove dish from pan and keep temperature at 350 degrees F.
- Make the meringue: In a bowl, with an electric mixer beat whites until they just hold soft peaks.
- Gradually, beat in sugar and beat meringue until it holds stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spread meringue evenly over custard and bake in middle of oven (not in a water bath) until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Cool dessert on a rack.
- Chill dessert until cold, about 4 hours, and up to 1 day.
- Cut dessert in squares.
- (Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine).