Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From Cooking Light's 1996 Annual Cookbook. Can be garnished with cinnamon sticks and orange rind curls for a pretty presentation.
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Place 1/2 c sugar in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and is light brown. Pour melted sugar into a 10-inch pieplate, tilting to coat bottom; set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/2 c sugar, pumpkin, and next 3 ingredients, stirring well. Add skim milk and next 4 ingredients; stir well. Pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pieplate; place in a large shallow pan. Pour hot water into pan to depth of 1 inch.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove pieplate from water and let cool on wire rack.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours. Loosen edges of flan with a knife; invert onto a rimmed serving plate. Serve cold.