Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this in my Mom's Better Homes and Gardens magazine and I just had to write it down. It sounded so good.
- 1 deep dish pie shell
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half or 3⁄4 cup light cream
- chopped chocolate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Line crust with double thickness of aluminum foil and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 6 more minutes.
- Cool the crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In medium mixing bowl combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg; beat on low speed until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture in the cooled crust.
- Sprinkle with the chopped chocolate.
- In a bowl combine pumpkin, brown sugar and spice.
- Stir in 4 eggs.
- Gradually stir in half and half.
- Slowly pour pumpkin mixture onto the chocolate layer.
- Cover pie edge with foil so it will not burn.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate within 2 hours.
- Top with more chopped chocolate if desired.
It's in the oven. A BIG disappointment. Followed the recipe to a "T," and there was so much pumpkin leftover, that I had to make a gingersnap crust for an 8.5 x 8.5 x 2 dish to use the remaining pumpkin mixture. Added the remaining 4 oz. cream cheese and a little bourbon and sugar plus the remaining ground chocolate (there was also too much of that) to the mixture. The pie is out of the oven now with not too much pumpkin. So we'll see. But it amazes me how three people could rave about the recipe when it makes far too much for a deep dish pie shell. After we taste this at tonight's dinner, maybe I can add to this posting.
I made this a couple of days ago for company.. I used a sugar sub instead of the regular sugar. This pie had great flavor and taste. It was enjoyed by all. Thanks for the great recipe and I will be making this again. made for Spring PAC 2009.
this pie is the best ever